9 Steps to Rid Your Lawn of Fleas & Ticks
Blood-sucking fleas and ticks pose potential harm to your family and pets. They hide in your lawn and can cause problems from simple skin irritation to spreading disease. Control fleas and ticks in your lawn with these simple tips.
- Mow it right. Mowing your lawn to the proper height reduces flea and tick hang-outs. Both of these insects hide in longer grass.
- Avoid overwatering. Fleas and ticks prefer moist environs. An overwatered or poorly draining lawn can extend an invitation to these insects.
- Keep it clean. Neatness counts when it comes to eliminating habitats for fleas and ticks to hide and lay eggs. Remove yard debris, such as piles of lumber, bricks and stones. Clean up your garden, yard and storage areas under a deck or in a crawl space.
- Treat your lawn with Bio Advanced Complete Insect Killer which contains a 2-way action formula for control of surface insects like ants, fleas and ticks, plus soil pests like grubs. It not only kills existing pests quickly, but also keeps on protecting for up to 90 days.
- Protect your home. Establish a barrier around your home with a treatment of Bio Advanced Complete Insect Killer. This treatment can prevent fleas and ticks from migrating into your home, although they can still hitch a ride on you or your pet.
- Check pet hang-outs. Flea and tick larvae remain within 50 feet of your pet’s favorite resting areas. Clean and treat around any cool, shady spots your pet favors, such as spaces under decks or porches, beneath low-hanging shrubs or along fence lines.
- Limit wildlife. Urban wildlife carries fleas and ticks. This includes squirrels, deer, rabbits, raccoons, mice and feral cats. Consider ways to reduce your yard’s appeal; contain or remove trash; treat for lawn grubs; squirrels may be drawn by birdseed; eliminate mice. Never allow wildlife to set up housekeeping under sheds or decks on your property.
- Create a no-migrate zone. If your area is known for ticks, establish a barrier between your lawn and surrounding woods or properties. Remove weeds, brush and leaf litter.
- Let the sun shine. Both ticks and fleas like shady, moist areas. Prune trees and shrubs to allow more sunlight to enter your landscape.
Get Growing Today!
Come visit our 150,000 square feet of greenhouses plus 10 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers! TLC Garden Centers provides everything you need to add colorful landscaping around your home, office and beyond. Our Landscape Designers are ready to get your project started today! Get Growing Oklahoma™!
Planting & Landscape Services
Let the Plant Professionals at TLC Garden Centers take the hassle out of transporting and installing your trees and shrubs with our Landscape Installation Service. Ask a Plant Professional about our Landscape Installation Service from TLC Garden Centers.
TREES & SHRUBS
TLC Garden Centers has a larger selection of trees and shrubs than any other garden center in Oklahoma. The TLC Plant Professionals travel nationwide to find the best varieties of trees and shrubs for Oklahoma's tough growing conditions.
TLC Garden Centers is one of the largest independent nursery, greenhouse and landscape retailers in the country. TLC grows more plants locally than any other garden center in Oklahoma. Come visit our 150,000 square feet of greenhouses, 10 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers and get expert advice from our TLC Plant Professionals!