July Gardening Tips
- Most shrubs and perennials may still be planted as long as they are adequately watered. Crapemyrtle, Althaea (Rose of Sharon), Vitex, and Desert Willow provide excellent summer blooms. Fertilize new plantings with Fertilome Root Stimulator.
- Heat loving annuals may still be planted for summer color, such as lantana, penta, angelonia, hibiscus, purslane, portulaca (rose moss) periwinkle, begonia, etc.
- Mulch, Mulch, Mulch to keep weeds down and increase water retention in landscape beds and gardens. Use Grade A Cedar Mulch or Pecan Hulls.
- During dry weather, be sure to keep all plantings adequately watered. A weekly deep, soaking is more beneficial than a daily light sprinkling. Water between 6-10 am to avoid evaporation.
- Pinch back leggy annuals and remove old blooms, also called Deadheading, to encourage new growth and blooms. Fertilize with Dr. Earth Bud & Bloom and water regularly.
- Fertilization of Bermuda grass lawns can continue if water is present for growth. Use TLC Premium Lawn Food. Do not fertilize cool-season grasses, such as fescue and rye, until fall.
- Planting Bermuda grass seed should be completed by the end of July to ensure the least risk of winter kill.
- Spray established lawn weeds with Bayer All-In-One Lawn Weed & Crabgrass Killer.
- Nutsedge is a difficult lawn weed to kill, but can be controlled with Image.
- Kill most common lawn pests, including: ants, fleas, ticks, with Bayer Complete Insect Killer.
- Mowing heights for cool-season grasses should be 3 inches during the hot summer months. Gradually raise mowing height of Bermuda grass lawns from 1 ½ to 2 inches.
- Proper watering of newly planted trees and shrubs often means the difference between success and replacement.
- The hotter and drier it gets, the larger the spider mite populations become. Keep a close eye on all plants and bring samples of insects or damage to TLC Garden Centers for diagnosis.
Get Growing Today!
Come visit our 150,000 square feet of greenhouses plus 10 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers! TLC Garden Centers provides everything you need to add colorful landscaping around your home, office and beyond. Our Landscape Designers are ready to get your project started today! Get Growing Oklahoma™!
Planting & Landscape Services
Let the Plant Professionals at TLC Garden Centers take the hassle out of transporting and installing your trees and shrubs with our Landscape Installation Service. Ask a Plant Professional about our Landscape Installation Service from TLC Garden Centers.
TREES & SHRUBS
TLC Garden Centers has a larger selection of trees and shrubs than any other garden center in Oklahoma. The TLC Plant Professionals travel nationwide to find the best varieties of trees and shrubs for Oklahoma's tough growing conditions.
TLC Garden Centers is one of the largest independent nursery, greenhouse and landscape retailers in the country. TLC grows more plants locally than any other garden center in Oklahoma. Come visit our 150,000 square feet of greenhouses, 10 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers and get expert advice from our TLC Plant Professionals!