June Lawn & Garden Checklist
- June is still a good time to plant colorful summer annuals, such as lantana, penta, angelonia, purslane, portulaca (rose moss) periwinkle, begonia, etc.
- Most shrubs, trees, perennials, and ground covers may still be planted in June as long as adequately watered. Crapemyrtle, Althaea, Vitex, and Desert Willow provide excellent summer blooms. Fertilize new plantings with Fertilome Root Stimulator.
- Hibiscus, Esperanza, Plumbago, Bougainvillea, etc. also provide great summer color for the patio and yard.
- Fresh Herbs for Cooking. Plant herbs in a sunny spot close to your kitchen door. Basil, Oregeno, Thyme, and Rosemary are easy to grow and great for cooking.
- Spraying tomato blooms with Bonide Tomato & Blossom Set Spray will help plants set fruit during hot weather. Also, if tomato fruit is brown on the bottom, apply Monterey Foli-Cal.
- Mulch, Mulch. Mulch to keep weeds down and increase water retention in landscape beds and gardens. Use Grade A Cedar Mulch or Pecan Hulls.
- During dry weather, be sure to keep the garden adequately watered. A weekly deep, soaking is more beneficial than a daily light sprinkling. Water between 6-10 am to avoid evaporation.
- Pinch back leggy annuals and remove old blooms, also called Deadheading, to encourage new growth and blooms. Fertilize with Dr. Earth Bud & Bloom and water regularly.
- Fertilize Bermuda grass lawns every 6-8 weeks with TLC Premium Lawn Food.
- June is a great time to plant Bermuda grass seed for sunny lawn areas.
- Crabgrass is actively growing now, spray lawn areas with Bayer All-In-One Lawn Weed & Crabgrass Killer and spray flower and shrub beds with Ortho Grass-B-Gon.
- Prevent and kill all types of existing weeds and grass in driveway cracks and along fences and foundations with Dura-Zone Weed & Grass Killer.
- Kill most common lawn pests, including: ants, fleas, ticks, and grubs with Bayer Complete Insect Killer.
- Proper watering of newly planted trees and shrubs often means the difference between success and replacement.
- Insect activity and damage is commonly found in June. Keep a close eye on all plants and bring samples of insects or damage to TLC Garden Centers for diagnosis.
Get Growing Today!
Come visit our 150,000 square feet of greenhouses plus 10 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers! TLC Garden Centers provides everything you need to add colorful landscaping around your home, office and beyond. Our Landscape Designers are ready to get your project started today! Get Growing Oklahoma™!
Our TLC Plant Professionals will create the perfect look for your residential and commercial landscape project, no matter the size. Whether you want a custom outdoor living space, unique garden pathways or a dramatic water feature, the experts at TLC Landscape Services are ready to bring your ideas to life.
VEGETABLES & HERBS
Backyard gardening starts here! Be your own farmer's market with TLC Garden Centers. We have Oklahoma City's largest selection of Locally-Grown vegetable plants and organic gardening supplies. Grow and enjoy fresh vegetables all season long with GMO-FREE seeds.
TLC Garden Centers is one of the largest independent nursery, greenhouse and landscape retailers in the country. TLC grows more plants locally than any other garden center in Oklahoma. Come visit our 150,000 square feet of greenhouses, 10 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers and get expert advice from our TLC Plant Professionals!