Lavender Pruning Tips
Classic English Lavender is beloved not only for its memorable fragrance, but also for the silvery foliage and stems that add texture to a border. It’s one of the hardier and most commonly grown lavenders with blooms that come on strong in early summer. It makes a great short hedge!
- Prune right after the first flowering and again in late August after the last flush has faded.
- Cut off about 2/3 of the plant’s height or to just above the bottom two sets of leaves on each stem.
- Take care not to cut into the woody part of the plant which can cause damage.
- Twice a year pruning will keep your plant healthy and compact.
The glam, later flowering lavenders (Lavandula x intermedia) have long flowering stems topped by slender tapering flower-heads with stems that splay outwards from a rounded mound of foliage. Use them make as the centerpiece of a border or to highlight corners and edges of beds or where you can enjoy the movement with every breeze.
- Prune in late August after they finish blooming.
- Less hardy than their English cousins, take extra care not to cut back into the woody part of the plant.
- Cut back by about 1/2 of the height of the plant leaving plenty of green leaves intact.
- Aim for a tidy, rounded mound of foliage. This can make them look good in winter, too.
Non-English (French, Spanish, Wooley, Etc.)
These ‘tufted lavenders’ have full, thick flower spikes and flower much earlier, in late spring in warmer zones and early summer in colder ones and often bloom right into fall. Such a diverse collection of lavenders with plenty of variation in fragrance, size, color, texture, and flower heads makes them fun to play with in the garden.
- The least hardy of the garden lavenders which means they need a bit more of a gentle touch.
- Give them a trim after the first flush or flowers have faded
- Do not cut them back hard as with other kinds of lavenders. It can kill them.
- Deadhead for the rest of the season.
- In late summer shape foliage into a mounded form.
TLC Garden Centers are proud to carry Monrovia plants. Monrovia grows the healthiest quality plants for you to create outdoor spaces that will thrive for years to come. Monrovia plants are nurtured with attention to every detail, to ensure vibrancy and lasting beauty. For more information on Monrovia click here.
Get Growing Today!
Come visit our 150,000 square feet of greenhouses plus 10 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers! TLC Garden Centers provides everything you need to add colorful landscaping around your home, office and beyond. Our Landscape Designers are ready to get your project started today! Get Growing Oklahoma™!
Planting & Landscape Services
Let the Plant Professionals at TLC Garden Centers take the hassle out of transporting and installing your trees and shrubs with our Landscape Installation Service. Ask a Plant Professional about our Landscape Installation Service from TLC Garden Centers.
TREES & SHRUBS
TLC Garden Centers has a larger selection of trees and shrubs than any other garden center in Oklahoma. The TLC Plant Professionals travel nationwide to find the best varieties of trees and shrubs for Oklahoma's tough growing conditions.
TLC Garden Centers is one of the largest independent nursery, greenhouse and landscape retailers in the country. TLC grows more plants locally than any other garden center in Oklahoma. Come visit our 150,000 square feet of greenhouses, 10 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers and get expert advice from our TLC Plant Professionals!