March Gardening Tips
Gardening Tips for March
- March is a great month to plant shade, fruit and nut trees, also grapes and berries
- Most shrubs, perennials and herbs can be planted now
- Prepare flower and vegetable beds with Back To Earth Soil Conditioner
- There is still time in early March to plant cool-season vegetable crops such as potatoes, onion, asparagus, beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, kohlrabi, lettuce, onion, peas, potato, radish, rhubarb, spinach, swiss chard and turnip. Plants and seeds are available now
- Plant cool-season annual flowers, such as lobularia, snapdragons and petunias
- Remove excessive thatch from Bermuda grass lawns. This should be done before applying a pre-emergent weed control
- If not done in February, apply EC Grow Fertilizer with Surflan Weed Preventer for spring weed control in Bermuda or fescue lawns this fall. It prevents weeds by killing seeds, so do not apply if you are seeding any grass this spring
- March is the best spring month to seed new areas or overseed existing areas of shady lawn grasses. Seed with TLC Premium Sun & Shade Mixture, Crossfire 4 Tall Fescue Seed, or Rembrandt Tall Fescue and apply Fertilome New Lawn Starter Fertilizer.
- Fertilize existing shady lawn grasses with TLC Premium Lawn Food
- Spray visible broadleaf weeds with Gordon’s Speed Zone
- Treat for lawn grubs with Bio Advanced Season Long Grub Control
- Apply Bio Advanced Tree & Shrub – Protect & Feed for insect control and fertilizer
- Purchase caladium bulbs but wait to plant until May
- Prune roses just before growth starts and begin a regular disease spray program as the foliage appears. Use Bio Advanced 3-in-1 Rose & Flower Care
- Cut back foliage on ornamental grasses and liriope (monkey grass)
- Prune shrubs as needed before new growth appears, but wait to prune spring flowering shrubs until after they bloom
- Divide and replant summer and fall blooming perennials (mums and asters)
- Proper watering of newly planted trees and shrubs often means the difference between success and replacement
- Keep a close eye on all plants and bring samples of insects or damage to TLC Garden Centers diagnosis
Get Growing Today!
Come visit our 150,000 square feet of greenhouses plus 10 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers! TLC Garden Centers provides everything you need to add colorful landscaping around your home, office and beyond. Our Landscape Designers are ready to get your project started today! Get Growing Oklahoma™!
Planting & Landscape Services
Let the Plant Professionals at TLC Garden Centers take the hassle out of transporting and installing your trees and shrubs with our Landscape Installation Service. Ask a Plant Professional about our Landscape Installation Service from TLC Garden Centers.
TREES & SHRUBS
TLC Garden Centers has a larger selection of trees and shrubs than any other garden center in Oklahoma. The TLC Plant Professionals travel nationwide to find the best varieties of trees and shrubs for Oklahoma's tough growing conditions.
TLC Garden Centers is one of the largest independent nursery, greenhouse and landscape retailers in the country. TLC grows more plants locally than any other garden center in Oklahoma. Come visit our 150,000 square feet of greenhouses, 10 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers and get expert advice from our TLC Plant Professionals!