October Lawn & Garden Tips
October Lawn & Garden Tips
- Fall is a great time to plant container grown shade trees, shrubs, and ground covers. Fall planting allows trees and shrubs time to establish a root system before the heat stress of summer.
- Plant Pansies, Panolas, and Violas now for spectacular colors this fall, winter, and early spring. Fertilize at time of planting with Hi-Yield Blood Meal, which also repels rabbits. Then fertilize every 2 weeks thru the growing season with TLC Pansy Max Fertilizer.
- Plant Mums, Ornamental Cabbage and Kale for fall color.
- Time to seed new areas or overseed existing areas of shady lawn grasses. Seed with TLC Premium Sun & Shade Mixture or Crossfire 4 Tall Fescue Seed and apply Fertilome New Lawn Starter Fertilizer.
- Buy spring flowering bulbs such as tulips, daffodils, etc., but don’t plant until November.
- If you haven’t yet, apply Sure Green Crabgrass & Annual Bluegrass Preventer Plus Lawn Food for fall weed control in Bermuda or fescue lawns. It prevents weeds by killing seeds, so do not apply if you are seeding any grass this fall.
- Control existing broadleaf lawn weeds with Gordon’s Speed Zone.
- Fertilize established fescue shady lawn grass with TLC Premium Lawn Food.
- Plant perennials now to allow establishment before winter.
- Fertilize established trees and shrubs with TLC Tree, Shrub, and Landscape Food.
- Fertilize flower beds and containers with Osmocote Plant Food.
- Till flower and vegetable beds with Back to Earth Soil Conditioner.
- Mulch beds to prevent weeds, retain moisture, and insulate plants for winter, use Premium Cedar Mulch, Premium Cypress Mulch, or Pecan Hulls.
- Sow wild flower seeds.
- Plant Iris and Peonies.
- Dig up and store Elephant Ears, Cannas, Gladiolas, and Caladiums.
- Move houseplants inside when night temperatures are below 50 degrees. Treat with Bonide Systemic Houseplant Insect Control.
TLC Pumpkin Patch!
TLC Garden Centers is your Pumpkin Patch Headquarters!
We have the largest selection in Oklahoma City, with more than 12 pumpkin varieties in stock!
Get Growing Today!
Come visit our 150,000 square feet of greenhouses plus 10 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers! TLC Garden Centers provides everything you need to add colorful landscaping around your home, office and beyond. Our Landscape Designers are ready to get your project started today! Get Growing Oklahoma™!
Let the Plant Professionals at TLC Garden Centers take the hassle out of transporting and installing your trees and shrubs with our planting services.
TLC Garden Centers is one of the largest independent nursery, greenhouse and landscape retailers in the country. TLC grows more plants locally than any other garden center in Oklahoma. Come visit our 150,000 square feet of greenhouses, 10 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers and get expert advice from our TLC Plant Professionals!
TREES & SHRUBS
TLC Garden Centers has a larger selection of trees and shrubs than any other garden center in Oklahoma. The TLC Plant Professionals travel nationwide to find the best varieties of trees and shrubs for Oklahoma's tough growing conditions.