Christmas Tree Care
Cut Christmas Tree Life Extension
- All cut Christmas trees have a limit on how long they will remain fresh inside your home. Two to three weeks is about average. The length of time depends upon the humidity, temperature, and drafts in the room. Some varieties contain more sap and will last longer than others. Noble Fir and Frazer Fir have the most sap followed by Grand Fir.
- Upon their arrival at TLC Garden Centers, Christmas trees are given a fresh cut on the trunk and placed in a bowl of water. The fresh cut helps the trees absorb more water. If you desire, after you choose your tree, TLC will make another fresh cut.
- Once you arrive home with your tree place it in a stand that holds water. Check the water reservoir daily and refill as needed.
- A Tree Preservative added to the water reservoir does seem to help. Tree preservative is available at
- Cloud Cover or Wilt Pruf are anti-transpirants which reduce the natural rate water passes thru the needles prolonging the freshness of the tree. Spray the tree foliage outdoors and let dry before bringing into the house. They are available at TLC in a ready to spray bottle.
- If you are going to store your tree for a few days before putting it in the house, keep it outdoors in the shade with the trunk in a bucket of water.
- If the trunk of the tree is too large to fit in your stand, do not remove the outside layer of bark. This will prevent the tree from taking up water. It is best to purchase a larger stand.
- Placing a Tree Removal Bag under the tree stand will help contain the needles when removing the tree from the house. Once the tree is outdoors remove the stand.
There is no way to prevent a cut Christmas tree from drying out, but these tips should help prolong the freshness of your tree a few extra days.
Get Growing Today!
Come visit our 150,000 square feet of greenhouses plus 10 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers! TLC Garden Centers provides everything you need to add colorful landscaping around your home, office and beyond. Our Landscape Designers are ready to get your project started today! Get Growing Oklahoma™!
Let the Plant Professionals at TLC Garden Centers take the hassle out of transporting and installing your trees and shrubs with our planting services.
TLC Garden Centers is one of the largest independent nursery, greenhouse and landscape retailers in the country. TLC grows more plants locally than any other garden center in Oklahoma. Come visit our 150,000 square feet of greenhouses, 10 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers and get expert advice from our TLC Plant Professionals!
TREES & SHRUBS
TLC Garden Centers has a larger selection of trees and shrubs than any other garden center in Oklahoma. The TLC Plant Professionals travel nationwide to find the best varieties of trees and shrubs for Oklahoma's tough growing conditions.