Living Christmas Tree Care
Caring for a Living Christmas Tree
- A living Christmas tree is an evergreen tree growing in a container or balled and burlapped in soil. These live trees may be used indoors as a Christmas tree then planted outdoors where they can be enjoyed for years to come.
- Pines, spruce, cedars, and junipers are most suitable for uses as a living Christmas tree. TLC Garden Centers stock these in several varieties and sizes.
- The main consideration in a living Christmas tree is that it should only be kept in the house for 5-7 days and not exceed 10 days. The fewer days inside the home the better the survival rate will be when planted outdoors.
- Be sure the root ball has been well watered before bringing the tree indoors. Monitor the dampness of the root ball. It does not need to stay wet but should be damp while inside. If it becomes dry, placing ice on top of the root ball will be the easiest way to provide moisture.
- Cloud Cover or Wilt Pruf are anti-transpirants which reduce the natural rate water passes thru the needles prolonging the freshness of the tree. Spray the tree foliage outdoors and let dry before bringing into the house. This can be done again when removed from the house. They are available in a ready to spray bottle.
- Keep Christmas lights on the tree to a minimum and do not place the tree close to a heater vent, fan, or fireplace.
- When removing the tree from the house, acclimate it to the outside temperatures by keeping it in the garage or closed patio for a couple of days before planting.
Follow regular tree planting instructions and water as needed through the winter.[apss_share]
Get Growing Today!
Come visit our 150,000 square feet of greenhouses plus 10 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers! TLC Garden Centers provides everything you need to add colorful landscaping around your home, office and beyond. Our Landscape Designers are ready to get your project started today! Get Growing Oklahoma™!
Our TLC Plant Professionals will create the perfect look for your residential and commercial landscape project, no matter the size. Whether you want a custom outdoor living space, unique garden pathways or a dramatic water feature, the experts at TLC Landscape Services are ready to bring your ideas to life.
VEGETABLES & HERBS
Backyard gardening starts here! Be your own farmer's market with TLC Garden Centers. We have Oklahoma City's largest selection of Locally-Grown vegetable plants and organic gardening supplies. Grow and enjoy fresh vegetables all season long with GMO-FREE seeds.
TLC Garden Centers is one of the largest independent nursery, greenhouse and landscape retailers in the country. TLC grows more plants locally than any other garden center in Oklahoma. Come visit our 150,000 square feet of greenhouses, 10 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers and get expert advice from our TLC Plant Professionals!