May Gardening Checklist
- May is a great month to plant annuals, perennials, shrubs, roses, trees, and ground covers. Fertilize new plantings with Fertilome Root Stimulator.
- Plant bedding plant annuals, such as begonia, impatiens, periwinkle, petunias, caladiums, zinnia, etc. Fertilize with Dr. Earth Bud & Bloom or with Osmocote Plant Food.
- Plant tomatoes, peppers, melons, cucumber, sweet potatoes, eggplant, okra, etc. Fertilize with Dr. Earth Tomato, Vegetable, and Herb Fertilizer.
- Prepare soil in flower and vegetable beds with Back to Earth Soil Conditioner.
- Preen Weed Preventer has a specialized formula to keep weed seeds from sprouting for three months around trees, shrubs, and flowers.
- Fertilize Bermuda grass lawns with TLC Premium Lawn Food. Also if you did not fertilize cool-season grasses in April, do so in early May.
- Seed cool-season grasses, such as fescue as soon as possible.
- Best time to plant Bermuda grass seed is mid-May thru mid-August.
- Spray established lawn weeds with Bayer All-In-One Lawn Weed & Crabgrass Killer.
- Nutsedge is a difficult lawn weed to kill, but can be controlled with Image.
- Kill most common lawn pests, including: ants, fleas, ticks, with Bayer Complete Insect Killer.
- Ortho Grass-B-Gon is a grassy weed killer that can be sprayed over the top of many flowers, ground covers, and shrubs. It kills bermudagrass, crabgrass, etc., in landscape beds without injuring desirable plants. Please read label thoroughly for approved plants.
- After they bloom prune spring flowering shrubs, such as Forsythia, Quince, Lilac, and Azalea. Also fertilize them with TLC Tree & Shrub Food.
- Continue regular rose spraying and feeding.
- Apply Bonide Systemic Insect Control now to prevent bagworms and tent caterpillars. If insects are present spray with Cyanara.
- Be on alert for spider mite damage, spray with Bonide Neem Oil.
- Slugs, snails, and sowbugs (roly poly) are often active in May, use Sluggo Plus. Apply in evening when pests are more active.
- Proper watering of newly planted trees and shrubs often means the difference between success and replacement.
- Lace bugs, aphids, spider mites, bagworms, cutworms, flea beetles, etc. can start popping up in the landscape and garden later this month. Keep a close eye on all plants and bring samples of insects or damage to TLC Garden Centers for diagnosis.
Get Growing Today!
Come visit our 150,000 square feet of greenhouses plus 10 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers! TLC Garden Centers provides everything you need to add colorful landscaping around your home, office and beyond. Our Landscape Designers are ready to get your project started today! Get Growing Oklahoma™!
Our TLC Plant Professionals will create the perfect look for your residential and commercial landscape project, no matter the size. Whether you want a custom outdoor living space, unique garden pathways or a dramatic water feature, the experts at TLC Landscape Services are ready to bring your ideas to life.
VEGETABLES & HERBS
Backyard gardening starts here! Be your own farmer's market with TLC Garden Centers. We have Oklahoma City's largest selection of Locally-Grown vegetable plants and organic gardening supplies. Grow and enjoy fresh vegetables all season long with GMO-FREE seeds.
TLC Garden Centers is one of the largest independent nursery, greenhouse and landscape retailers in the country. TLC grows more plants locally than any other garden center in Oklahoma. Come visit our 150,000 square feet of greenhouses, 10 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers and get expert advice from our TLC Plant Professionals!