Tips for Caring for Poinsettias
No flower says Christmas like the beautiful poinsettias. Native to Mexico and were first introduced to the United States by Joel Roberts Poinsett, a botanist and the first US Ambassador to Mexico. . Poinsettias come in several colors, including traditional red, white, pink, burgundy, marbled, and speckled.
- Place in good light but avoid direct sunshine.
- Normal room temperature or slightly cooler (50-70 degrees) is best. Avoid cold drafts or excess heat from air vents, appliances or open doors and windows.
- Place plant away from traffic and out of the reach of children and pets, as they can be easily broken.
- Poinsettias are not poisonous. A study at Ohio State University showed that a 50 pound child would have to eat more than 500 leaves to have any harmful effect. Plus poinsettia leaves have an awful taste.Poinsettias do have a milky sap and some people with latex allergies could have a skin reaction after touching the leaves.
- Water thoroughly when the soil surface is dry to the touch. Protect your furniture and floors by using a water proof saucer under your plant. Discard any excess water that accumulates in the saucer. These care instructions are important since improper watering or care can lead to leaf drop or root rot.
- No additional fertilizers should be necessary until all blooms are spent.
- With good care, a poinsettia will last 6-8 weeks in your home.
Get Growing Today!
Come visit our 150,000 square feet of greenhouses plus 10 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers! TLC Garden Centers provides everything you need to add colorful landscaping around your home, office and beyond. Our Landscape Designers are ready to get your project started today! Get Growing Oklahoma™!
Planting & Landscape Services
Let the Plant Professionals at TLC Garden Centers take the hassle out of transporting and installing your trees and shrubs with our Landscape Installation Service. Ask a Plant Professional about our Landscape Installation Service from TLC Garden Centers.
TREES & SHRUBS
TLC Garden Centers has a larger selection of trees and shrubs than any other garden center in Oklahoma. The TLC Plant Professionals travel nationwide to find the best varieties of trees and shrubs for Oklahoma's tough growing conditions.
TLC Garden Centers is one of the largest independent nursery, greenhouse and landscape retailers in the country. TLC grows more plants locally than any other garden center in Oklahoma. Come visit our 150,000 square feet of greenhouses, 10 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers and get expert advice from our TLC Plant Professionals!